Sunday, 22 January 2012

Fire in the belly

Long time no post - sorry about that. I'll try and actually have a decent and interesting blog post up tomorrow.

Right now I'm sitting in bed and will shortly be going to sleep. This evening my father and I went to see 'The Iron Lady' at a local independent cinema. It's certainly a good film and personally I think it very much reminded me that, no matter how much I despise her politics and the poisonous legacy of a divided country which she left us, Margaret Thatcher is now just a widowed old woman struggling with dementia. In the end, after all she did and didn't do, she has ended up facing old age and death in the same way that everyone else has to face. At the end of the day, she's human. And I think that that reminder of ultimate mortality is something that a lot of powerful people could do well to remember.

But that's not what this post is about. Because after the film my father and I got to talking politics - as we tend to do now and again. I won't go into details but it wasn't about party politics, it was about human nature and injustice and corruption and ineptitude.

As it happens, I rather enjoy that kind of conversation. Not just because it gets the old brain cells working and can give you new insights into things but because of the impact it has on me. Like a lot of people who take an interest in politics I can find things pretty depressing at times and end up wondering what the point of all the effort is when nothing ever seems to change.

But conversations like that, where I'm reminded of all the injustice, all the flaws, all the needless cruelty and poverty are brilliant at making me angry at the downright unfairness of it all. And, funnily enough, anger is my main political motivator. It puts fire in my belly by making me want to tear down the whole rotten edifice of the modern world and fix all that is wrong with it. In practice I know that I've got to be a tad more realistic in my aims than perfecting society, the radically reforming the economic system and fixing the flaws in human nature, but, by the gods, it certainly gives me something pure and unadultered to aim for. So, all in all, being angry and having the conviction and burning desire to end the injustice is probably a good thing. After all, it's that fiery anger that you need to keep you going, that you need if you ever want to accomplish something in the face of adversity.

So that's pretty much what I wanted to say in this blogpost. Incidentally, the whole recharging of the fire in my belly following the conversation (because I was feeling pretty drained and spread thin beforehand) is why tomorrow I intend to finally get round to a) writing a reply to this and b) beginning plotting in earnest over a fightback on the Welfare Reform Bill.

2 comments:

  1. You know,it takes young men with passion to seize the moment.
    Being a idealist is unpopular at the moment.But like fashions change,so do politics.
    In 1939 the world entered a dark phase,but out of that came,for a time,a brave new world.
    A world that challenged the Establishment and Established order.
    A world were,in some countries anyway,equality was openly debated.
    Those that had fought for six years,like my Father had demanded something back.And those that rule realised they would have to give it.
    Big business,global economic dictators are once again casting a shadow over mankind.
    It will take young idealists to win it back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The content of that post explains why I like you, George.

    Perhaps it something to do with the fact that you can find space in your heart to feel a little sorry for a old woman, once so powerful, who now can't remember what day it is, or if she's eaten. And yes, despite the untold misery that her policies have brought to people all over the UK, misery that continues to this day, and despite the fact that I never saw any humanity in her at all, except once when Mark was lost in Mali, and then when she had to vacate Downing Street, she is a human being.

    What I used to think was good about the Liberals, is what makes me want to read your stuff. You guys care about the little people, the sick and the old and the badly treated. The ones Labour should be fighting for, but have given up on. Or you did until Nick Clegg decided to throw in his lot with another politician who is also human (hard to remember though that may be), and who one day too will be a shuffling pathetic old man. (Although at least Margaret Thatcher used to have intellect; he won't even have that to depend upon). It saddens me that, in Scotland where they could have stood alone from Clegg, Liberals have sworn allegiance to Clegg's/Cameron's word.

    You are, though, the kind of Liberal I have had respect for, and would probably try to be myself, were I not a passionate believer in a free Scotland.

    One last thought on Thatcher. Yes a pathetic old woman though she might be, she is fortunately for she is very very rich. And so, while dementia must be awful for her, the roughest edges are taken off by her money. How much worse for the poor old woman at the end of the road, bundled off into one of Thatcher's privatised care homes, where profit comes first.

    ReplyDelete

I'm indebted to Birkdale Focus for the following choice of words:

I am happy to address most contributions, even the drunken ones if they are coherent, but I am not going to engage with negative sniping from those who do not have the guts to add their names or a consistent on-line identity to their comments. Such postings will not be published.

Anonymous comments with a constructive contribution to make to the discussion, even if it is critical will continue to be posted. Libellous comments or remarks I think may be libellous will not be published.

I will also not tolerate personation so please do not add comments in the name of real people unless you are that person. If you do not like these rules then start your own blog.

Oh, and if you persist in repeating yourself despite the fact I have addressed your point I may get bored and reject your comment.

The views expressed in comments are those of the poster, not me.