Thursday, 20 October 2011

Gaddaffi didn't deserve to die like that

The Sun's front page tomorrow will be a picture of Gaddaffi just after he was shot in the head. I won't link to it but I will say that the picture is rather distasteful. At the end of the day, we're looking at a murdered human being. In death he looks just like an old, exhausted, dead man. Looking at it I genuinely feel sorry for him.

There's no doubt in my mind that he was a monster and a murderer. The pain, death and suffering he inflicted on his own people, the blood on his hands, means that he was beyond redemption. But I don't think anyone deserves to die like that. I won't shed any tears for him, but I can't help but think of Martin Luther King's words:
"I mourn the death of thousands of precious lives, I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy"
And for me, that sums it up. No one deserves to die unarmed, wounded, in cold blood after being dragged through the streets in front of a hateful crowd. No one, no matter what they have done, deserves that. Monsters should be taken prisoner, they should be treated with the same humanity that they refused to show others and they should face a fair trial which will give them the sentence they deserve. A process like that reveals all tyrants and monsters to be exactly what they are: pitiful, small, human beings who are pathetic without others to do their dirty work for them. The humiliation of such an ignominious end is the best punishment for someone like that; not the quick oblivion of death but to spend the rest of their lives in prison, knowing that their power is gone and that they have lost all that they ever had.

That is what Gaddaffi deserved, but not this. For all he did, he was a fellow member of the human race, and no decent human should murder another in such a fashion. I will not shed any tears for Gaddaffi but nor will I ever think that the way he died is anything to celebrate.

5 comments:

  1. I feel the same revulsion at those images as I did at the execution of Saddam Hussain. He was already captured - isn't that enough? What trauma to afflict upon another human being. Mercy would have shown such an opposite human polarity to his.

    I can't, of course, speak for those who have suffered under his tyranny! Those brutalised by him or who have lost loved ones, or those exhausted by battle and whose blood was up. I can however question the incessant use of those bloody images in news media, largely by and for the consumption of people who have little involvement, to pillory him at his gory end to lift viewing figures and sales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hear hear.

    The sites there tonight were revolting from what I can gather: I was disinclined to actually look at any of it.

    Martin Luther King was bang on.

    And you are too. How much better would it have been if he had had to live in prison for the rest of his life.

    I reckon that we may regret that that happened. Especially when Nato so blatantly overstepped its remit. It was there to stop civilian deaths. It has caused more than it stopped. It was not there to effect regime change, but that has never worried the UK or the US, and clearly France under the obnoxious little Napoleon.

    Still, it's a moment respite for Cameron, where he can rejoice in world statesmanship ... or facilitating an awful lot of deaths, whichever you want to call it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. to hell with all of you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have posted this up on my facebook page, acknowledged that I didn't write it and commented that I agree wholeheartedly... how can we even begin to teach respect for human life by acting like the Barbarians we are trying to rid that world of .. it's the modern day equivalent of sticking a head on a pole and I deplore it... any media should be heavily fined in the interests of moral indecency.....I write this with a heavy heart...P.S. I only show as anonymous as I'm not swish enough to sort out any of the other options...signed Jo Bainbridge

    ReplyDelete
  5. It makes you wonder if this New Government will be any better than the last in Libya.

    A barbaric beginning.

    ReplyDelete

I'm indebted to Birkdale Focus for the following choice of words:

I am happy to address most contributions, even the drunken ones if they are coherent, but I am not going to engage with negative sniping from those who do not have the guts to add their names or a consistent on-line identity to their comments. Such postings will not be published.

Anonymous comments with a constructive contribution to make to the discussion, even if it is critical will continue to be posted. Libellous comments or remarks I think may be libellous will not be published.

I will also not tolerate personation so please do not add comments in the name of real people unless you are that person. If you do not like these rules then start your own blog.

Oh, and if you persist in repeating yourself despite the fact I have addressed your point I may get bored and reject your comment.

The views expressed in comments are those of the poster, not me.