Friday, 29 July 2011

To buy or not to buy

I'm in a little bit of a dilemna. On the one hand Peter Mandelson's autobiography is available on Amazon for £13.29 and I really want to read it. On the other hand, I don't want to put money into his pockets by buying the book.

So this is the moral dilemma which I am currently struggling with. The problem is, of course, Mandelson himself. On the one hand he's a terrible person and incredibly slimy. But on the other hand he's so charming that I can't help but like him. Hence my predicament in deciding whether to put money into his pockets or not.

I've already given up eating tuna and Nestle products for ethical reasons and so I think eventually my desire to read what is, by all accounts, a fascinating insight into the rise and fall of New Labour, will convince my conscience that I can read it without feeling guilty because of my ethical behaviour in other areas. That said, I'll probably have to hate myself a little bit while I read it.

Mind you, I can always write a review of it on here and thereby kid myself that I'm "only reading it for blogging purposes". What do you think? Should that be a sufficient get out clause?

4 comments:

  1. Buy it at the cheapest price you can find it then once you've read it, put it into a Lib Dem book stall so it raises funds for the party.

    Or, just get it from the library.

    I really want to read it too but decided against buying the hardback. It looks a bit pricey - the Kindle edition is only £3.99 and the £13.29 page has some new and used at much lower prices. Why not take one of those options - and still sell it on for party funds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is truly great advice.

    As it happens, my local party is overdue for a book stall so that would be an excellent plan. Thanks for a brilliant suggestion :D

    Right, off to score the new and used section of Amazon. To the interwebs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, my name is blogmeister 5000, aspiring pro blog critic. I enjoyed your style, although really, Peter Mandelson? I find more interesting things on the bottom of my dancing shoes. He's a complete douche if you'll pardon the pun.

    KEEP BLOGGING

    Much <3

    Blogmeister 5000

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hate him or love him but know this Peter Mandelson through New Labour deliverd many body blows to the Tories.

    ReplyDelete

I'm indebted to Birkdale Focus for the following choice of words:

I am happy to address most contributions, even the drunken ones if they are coherent, but I am not going to engage with negative sniping from those who do not have the guts to add their names or a consistent on-line identity to their comments. Such postings will not be published.

Anonymous comments with a constructive contribution to make to the discussion, even if it is critical will continue to be posted. Libellous comments or remarks I think may be libellous will not be published.

I will also not tolerate personation so please do not add comments in the name of real people unless you are that person. If you do not like these rules then start your own blog.

Oh, and if you persist in repeating yourself despite the fact I have addressed your point I may get bored and reject your comment.

The views expressed in comments are those of the poster, not me.