Tuesday, 10 May 2011

We're not here to play the game, we're here to change it

Over on ConservativeHome Andrew Lilico is busy gloating over the AV referendum results. However, I think that what he says is very astute and insightful and actually cuts right to the heart of the matter. This is what he has to say:
I disagree with the Labour Party about many points of detailed policy. Labour wants to spend too much, to regulate too much, it undermines elitism (and hence opportunity), it is captured by destructive equality doctrines, and it is occasionally even incompetent. But Labour is my honourable foe. If Labour wins, that's a pity, but I shake my opponent's hand and say: "Well done, I'll beat you next time." Labour is my opponent, but an opponent I can strive against and live with losing to. 
The Lib Dems, by contrast, are not my opponents but my enemy. The Lib Dems must never, ever win, because victory for the Lib Dems would mean the rules of the game changing. Victory for the Lib Dems would not simply mean some errors of policy that I would need (with some pain for society) to undo in a few years time, and some lost opportunities to implement other improvements. Victory for the Lib Dems constitutes destruction of the system, overthrow, constitutional revolution, the end of the game as I and my Labour foe have come to play it. Lib Dems are not my opponents, and though they might compromise to work with me, I cannot compromise to work with them. I would far, far rather form a coalition with the Labour Party, nationally, than with the Lib Dems.
And, you know what? He's spot on. Us Lib Dems aren't here to play the same old Labour vs Conservative game, we're here to not only change the rules of the game but to shatter the game so that the game itself is unrecognisable.

And the fact that Labour and the Conservatives are content to play the game, is to me, the most obvious problem with the situation this country is in. While politicians are playing games people in this country still face the same problem their grandparents did. In some areas we haven't even improved on the past, instead we've fallen back!

So, here's a toast to the Lib Dems. After all, victory for us "would not simply mean some errors of policy that I would need (with some pain for society) to undo in a few years time, and some lost opportunities to implement other improvements. Victory for the Lib Dems constitutes destruction of the system, overthrow, constitutional revolution, the end of the game as I and my Labour foe have come to play it."

To me, that is all the reason I need to keep fighting for victory. I don't want more of the same, I want a revolution! A revolution of a far more fundamental nature than a mere coup or the execution of a King. I want a revolution in the political, economic and social systems themselves!

So, if you want to be like Andrew and his conservative ilk (which includes about half the Labour party) then consider us your enemy. If, on the other hand, you want to see the entire rotten weight of the establishment come tumbling down, if you want to see a fair, free and open society, and if you want your voice to be heard then unite with us. And by unite I don't mean come and join the party, though you're welcome to if you wish, I mean unite with us in common cause and purpose. The cause of fundamental change in the way this nation is done. Fight for it by voting for us, campaigning for us, campaigning for independent pressure groups or by working to change your own party to share this common goal. A goal of a world turned upside down and where, perhaps, we can finally have the green and pleasant land that so many have fought, suffered and died for throughout our history.

2 comments:

I'm indebted to Birkdale Focus for the following choice of words:

I am happy to address most contributions, even the drunken ones if they are coherent, but I am not going to engage with negative sniping from those who do not have the guts to add their names or a consistent on-line identity to their comments. Such postings will not be published.

Anonymous comments with a constructive contribution to make to the discussion, even if it is critical will continue to be posted. Libellous comments or remarks I think may be libellous will not be published.

I will also not tolerate personation so please do not add comments in the name of real people unless you are that person. If you do not like these rules then start your own blog.

Oh, and if you persist in repeating yourself despite the fact I have addressed your point I may get bored and reject your comment.

The views expressed in comments are those of the poster, not me.