Tuesday, 5 April 2011

How voting would work under AV

There are two good things I've come across today. The first is a flowchart explaining the incredibly complicated AV system versus nice and simple FPTP:
Pictured: the complexity of the AV system
The other thing I saw was this report which was covered in the Independent. Don't worry, I'm not going to ask you to read it. Instead, I'm providing the results in, wait for it... gratuitous bar graph form!

Pictured: Gratuitous bar graph

So, as you can see, there will be more marginal seats under AV and will increase the power of the average voter. Admittedly, it's not a vast improvement, but it is a substantive improvement on what we have at the moment.

And, conveniently enough, the Voter Power Index has reprocessed the data so you can see the effect it would have in your constituency. It only takes about 20 seconds so please give it a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm indebted to Birkdale Focus for the following choice of words:

I am happy to address most contributions, even the drunken ones if they are coherent, but I am not going to engage with negative sniping from those who do not have the guts to add their names or a consistent on-line identity to their comments. Such postings will not be published.

Anonymous comments with a constructive contribution to make to the discussion, even if it is critical will continue to be posted. Libellous comments or remarks I think may be libellous will not be published.

I will also not tolerate personation so please do not add comments in the name of real people unless you are that person. If you do not like these rules then start your own blog.

Oh, and if you persist in repeating yourself despite the fact I have addressed your point I may get bored and reject your comment.

The views expressed in comments are those of the poster, not me.