Friday, 29 April 2011

Change of plans - police abuse of power

I was going to do a blogpost on how the debate with Jeremy Hunt went last night.

However, instead I came across this on Liberal Conspiracy.


The people being arrested are street performers who's "crime" was to be planning to perform a mock zombie royal wedding today. Part of it was to involve a mock execution of Prince Andrew. Not exactly my cup of tea  but I fail to see how that's a criminal offence.

A while back the police said that:
This is a day of celebration, joy and pageantry for Great Britain. Any criminals attempting to disrupt it – be that in the guise of protest or otherwise – will be met by a robust, decisive, flexible and proportionate policing response.
- Cmdr Christine Jones, Metropolitan Police
At the time I was concerned what that meant - the police, especially the Met, are not known for their "proportionate" responses.

I'm sorry, but this is disgusting. As a liberal the abuse of police powers and the politicisation of the police is despicable. It's happened too often under both the Brown, Blair, Major and Thatcher governments and it's happening again under this one. The difference is that this time we have Lib Dem MPs in government. This should not be happening. We have fought time and time again against exactly this kind of abuse of police powers.

Our MPs should be fighting against this. I sincerely hope that some of them will take notice. If you're reading this and have a Lib Dem MP, please forward this footage to them and ask them to do something about it.

This government should be drawing the line under such police behaviour, not turning a blind eye to it. Either we do something now or I for one will be unable to see anything beneficial about being in power. If we can't even stand up for our basic principles now we're in government then what's the point of the party?

3 comments:

  1. I see how it is wrong, but I think you're getting a weeeee bit riled up about it.. Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to draw the line somewhere. The police abusing their powers is nothing new in this country.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Beanfield
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poll_Tax_Riots
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Tomlinson

    My party has always fought against this kind of thing and it's our job to remind governments not to safeguard civil liberties. If we don't speak up then no one else will.

    It may seem like I'm overreacting but I have a duty as a party member and as a citizen. By spreading this as wise as possible and objecting we can make the government take note. To me, this isn't overreacting - this is being a responsible citizen.

    Sorry for the rant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed that the right to peaceful protest had been withdrawn, rather like Syria. Although they have yet to used cannon against us.

    Who actually said that peaceful protest at the waste of money was not allowed? Some functionary in the police? Clarence House? Charles? The Queen? Flashman Botox-Cameron?

    This time it was a wedding. Next time will it be G20? Then will it be when for their greater glory they send troops into yet another country to make them respect British values?

    No. I don't think too much is being made of it.

    Hopefully this will not happen in Scotland, where we are obliged to host a rather less lucrative wedding in the near future.

    ReplyDelete

I'm indebted to Birkdale Focus for the following choice of words:

I am happy to address most contributions, even the drunken ones if they are coherent, but I am not going to engage with negative sniping from those who do not have the guts to add their names or a consistent on-line identity to their comments. Such postings will not be published.

Anonymous comments with a constructive contribution to make to the discussion, even if it is critical will continue to be posted. Libellous comments or remarks I think may be libellous will not be published.

I will also not tolerate personation so please do not add comments in the name of real people unless you are that person. If you do not like these rules then start your own blog.

Oh, and if you persist in repeating yourself despite the fact I have addressed your point I may get bored and reject your comment.

The views expressed in comments are those of the poster, not me.