Wednesday, 16 February 2011

Holy crap, I'm a politician

Well, it's official. I'm now one of those slimy political bastards you'd do well to avoid - whatever you do, don't trust a word I say. And that includes that last statement. And that one as well. And that, and this, and oh bother I've confused myself.

Right, let's start again. Last night I went to the Guildford Lib Dems' constituency office for an interview. As a result, I have been approved as a council candidate. The election is in May and in the meantime I get to act all pompous and spend my spare time campaigning in our target seats. Much yayness.

There is of course an ever so slight chance I might not win a seat this time round as there are only so many winnable seats and obviously those who've been working in those communities longer and who have more time to dedicate should take preference for the party's resources. However, there is no reason why I shouldn't win and my goal is to a) scare the life out of the tories wherever I end up standing and b) turn an unwinnable seat into a solid Lib Dem seat for the next council election. Above all, I'll be helping to make sure that everyone in Guildford has the opportunity to vote for a Lib Dem candidate. The reason this is so important is because the Lib Dems are the only party capable of taking control of the council from the tories. The tories have 27 seats and we have 21 so we only need to gain four seats in order to get rid of them.

You might ask why I'm so against the tories running the council. The reason is simple, they're useless. For example, last year they closed the Age Concern Riverside Centre for the elderly when they're still spending money on the council newspaper About Guildford which essentially acts as a propaganda device for whoever runs the council. If About Guildford were scrapped the money saved could be used to reopen the Riverside centre and bring back a service which many elderly people relied on. As it happens, the Lib Dems on the council proposed this along with other ways to protect frontline services but the tories ignored them. As a result people in Guildford are suffering when the council could very easily remedy the situation. That's why I think the tories are unfit to run the council and why I intend to do everything I can to oppose them.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck George Iam sure you'll make a great councillor it doesn't matter if others tell you your in a non winable seat its how you work the area and that you feel you've done your best.

    ReplyDelete

I'm indebted to Birkdale Focus for the following choice of words:

I am happy to address most contributions, even the drunken ones if they are coherent, but I am not going to engage with negative sniping from those who do not have the guts to add their names or a consistent on-line identity to their comments. Such postings will not be published.

Anonymous comments with a constructive contribution to make to the discussion, even if it is critical will continue to be posted. Libellous comments or remarks I think may be libellous will not be published.

I will also not tolerate personation so please do not add comments in the name of real people unless you are that person. If you do not like these rules then start your own blog.

Oh, and if you persist in repeating yourself despite the fact I have addressed your point I may get bored and reject your comment.

The views expressed in comments are those of the poster, not me.