Tuesday, 16 November 2010

It's a royal wedding!

In case you haven't already heard, Prince William and Kate Middleton are going to be getting married in the Spring or Summer of next year. I'd like to start this post by wishing them both the very best and I hope they are very happy together - just as I would for any other couple.

Right, that's it. That's my contribution to the media frenzy which will engulf everything for the next 6 or 9 months. Believe me, this will be unlike anything you've ever seen before (unless you're old enough to remember Charles' and Dianna's marriage). The Olympics? Michael Jackson? Jade Goody? Forget it, they will pale into insignificance compared to the saturation coverage we will be getting of the new Royal Wedding. Already the BBC has several different articles on their romance, their marriage and the fairytale story. I hope you like their faces because you're going to be bombarded with them for the next few months. So, expect me to be going into grumpy mode.

It's not that I don't like the monarchy, in fact I support their continued existence as they fulfil a useful constitutional function, but I have no desire to salivate over every possible detail of their lives. So, if you keep bleating on at me about this wedding, particularly as time goes on and the media coverage becomes even more saccharine and inane, please don't be surprised if I punch you in the face. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm indebted to Birkdale Focus for the following choice of words:

I am happy to address most contributions, even the drunken ones if they are coherent, but I am not going to engage with negative sniping from those who do not have the guts to add their names or a consistent on-line identity to their comments. Such postings will not be published.

Anonymous comments with a constructive contribution to make to the discussion, even if it is critical will continue to be posted. Libellous comments or remarks I think may be libellous will not be published.

I will also not tolerate personation so please do not add comments in the name of real people unless you are that person. If you do not like these rules then start your own blog.

Oh, and if you persist in repeating yourself despite the fact I have addressed your point I may get bored and reject your comment.

The views expressed in comments are those of the poster, not me.